Why Diets Don’t Work

UPDATE MARCH 2021: un udpated (and much improved) version of this article can be found here.

Diets work… 5% of the time! And of that small percentage, 3 out of 5 people develop eating disorders. The other 95% will gain the weight back (and more!) throughout the years following the diet. But why? Because diets means restriction and our bodies don’t like to be restricted.

When food intake is restricted, the body goes into protection mode to save us from this « danger » by reducing it’s Resting Metabolic Rate (the energy required to maintain our bodies basic functions such as breathing and blood circulation). When the metabolic rate is slowed down, you lose less weight despite your efforts because your body now requires less energy on a daily basis to function. What follows is called The Restriction Cycle (frustration, over-eating, feelings of guilt and then restriction again!).


Dieting makes us eat more than our bodies need because we react REALLY POORLY to restriction, both physically and mentally.

On top of all this, every time the body feels deprived of necessary energy, it remembers and will tend to maintain a little extra energy in its fat reserves resulting in a new healthy weight being a little higher than its original genetic natural weight. Don’t contribute to this cycle and avoid dieting, starting now!

If you believe you have some weight to lose, Intuitive Eating will help you find your natural weight in a way that respects your personal preferences and your need for pleasure in your day-to-day life. The process is longer than traditional diets, but way more durable and agreeable.

Thinking it may be a good idea to get some help with this process? Please, come see me for counseling (in my Sherbrooke office, in the comfort of your own home or via Skype, or even by phone). You can contact me or reserve your appointment online.

Cora Loomis, nutritionniste

Originaire de la région et parfaitement bilingue, je suis une jeune et dynamique diététiste-nutritionniste œuvrant à Sherbrooke et ses environs. Avec une approche simple et accessible, j’offre plusieurs services et adore coopérer avec les médias pour pouvoir remplir mon but professionnel: contribuer au bien-être des personnes que j’ai la chance d’informer, conseiller ou accompagner.

Originally from the region and perfectly bilingual, I am a young and dynamic Registered Dietitian (RD) working in the city of Sherbrooke and surrounding areas. Through a simple and accessible approach, I offer a number of services and love to cooperate with the media in order to fulfill my professional goal: contribute to the well-being of each person that I am lucky enough to inform, advise or support.

Articles recommandés

Laisser un commentaire